Thursday, April 25, 2019

all things to all people

1 Corinthians 9

19 Even though I am a free man with no master, 
I have become a slave to all people to bring many to Christ.
20 When I was with the Jews, 
I lived like a Jew to bring the Jews to Christ. 
When I was with those who follow the Jewish law, 
I too lived under that law. 
Even though I am not subject to the law, 
I did this so I could bring to Christ those who are under the law. 

21 When I am with the Gentiles who do not follow the Jewish law, 
I too live apart from that law so I can bring them to Christ. 
But I do not ignore the law of God; 
I obey the law of Christ.

22 When I am with those who are weak, 
I share their weakness, 
for I want to bring the weak to Christ. 

Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone
doing everything I can to save some. 
23 I do everything to spread the Good News 
and share in its blessings.


Paul talks here about being "all things to all people".

He did this himself for one reason only - to build a connection with people so as to influence them to follow Jesus.

It would seem these days we have forgotten this.
We seem to tell people they must "become like us" if they want to be "true" followers of Jesus,
thinking like us,
dressing like us,
belong to the same political party like us,
living at the same economic level as us.

There seems to be very little connection building,
with a lot of intolerant "you must be like me" for people to be ready to "receive Christ".

I wonder how many of us would have become followers of Jesus if the people who we encountered had displayed this type of middle class self righteousness rather than the loving & accepting attitude & connection building that drew us to consider following Him?

No comments: