Thursday, April 13, 2023

family

 We are so used to thinking about Jesus (who is God) as our brother, but this was a radical & blasphemous thought back then.

It was blasphemous first of all to consider Jesus as God.

And it was an unbelievable & blasphemous thought that we could be considered brothers or sister to the High, Holy, Infinite God.

Jesus poked holes in all that thinking by His final statement in verse 50.

We forget how totally radical Jesus was compared to everyone else.

We also forget how the majority of His followers over the centuries have been considered cutting edge radicals, not bastions of the conservative.

Just sayin'...


Matthew 12

46 While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. 

47 Someone told him, 

“Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.”

48 He replied to him, 

“Who is my mother, 

and who are my brothers?” 

49 Pointing to his disciples, he said, 

“Here are my mother and my brothers. 

50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother 

and sister 

and mother.”

No comments: