Monday, October 20, 2008

sounds I like to hear

I wrote this in response to something Beth White wrote on her facebook account...

sounds I like to hear?


popcorn popping
Hannah's voice, anytime
the sound of a fire in our den fireplace
Lynn when she says I love you
wind blowing fallen leaves
John Wood's belly laugh
water running in a mountain stream
the way Scott Adams says "daddy"
babies when they sigh with full stomachs
Sheila when she says woohoo
snow falling
Liz Collins Hammack's laugh
the crack of ice in the spring
the way my superson hums when I hug him
dogs sighing when the lie down
brice when he calls me dad
mail falling thru the shoot at our door
Jason Scott when he calls me "popio"
the sound a mother sheep makes when she wants to get talk to her lamb
John Michael's quiet, monosyllabic words when eating breakfast early in the morning & watching a fire in the den
rain in the night, or on a summer afternoon
Weyman's abandoned laugh
steak cooking on a grill
when Bryan Nichols hums when I hug him
chili simmering in a slow cooker
the way Wood says "pappy dan"
downtown late at night, or around 6am, as it wakes up
Timothy's squealing laughter when I wrestle him to the floor & tickle him
bells being played in a church tower
spontaneous unfettered worship
Chad Riley's giggle - it means he's messing with me & enjoying it
ac coming on in the hockey arena on a hot Tuesday afternoon
the sounds we make as a staff when we cook supper together on staff retreat
Andy King's snoring - who's convinced he doesn't
small children singing spontaneously as they play
when Cowboy calls me "papa"
sheep eating hay in the barn on a cold winter's night
Philip calling me "sunshine"
a really good choir singing John Rutter Christmas songs
God's still, small voice

No comments: