Monday, July 16, 2012

belief & doubt, 1st & last, & saltiness

Mark 9:23b Jesus said, "Anything is possible if a person believes."

24 The father instantly replied, "I do believe, but help me not to doubt."


That's me these days - I believe, but I can't see how we're gonna come out on the other end of this tunnel. I only have enough light for 1 step at a time. And I only see as far ahead as that 1 step. And there ain't no light at the end of the tunnel, yet. But I continue to believe that even though I'm walking along here in the dark, there's Someone who's walking with me.

********

Mark 9:35b Jesus said, "Anyone wants to be the first must take last place & be the servant of everyone else."


So much for the "I'm # 1" kind of attitude. So much for "I'm lookin' out for # 1" attitude rampant these days.

In Matthew, Jesus says that he would be great among you must be the servant of all - iow, we're here to serve, not be held up as the most amazing thing since sliced bread. That our greatness isn't measure by how outstanding we are, but by how we love & serve others.

********

Mark 9:50 Salt is good for seasoning. But if it loses it flavor, how do you make it salty again? You must have the qualities of salt among yourselves & live in peace with each other.


Salt enhances the flavor of things. I love to put just a little salt on cantaloupe - it heightens the flavor of a good, ripe cantaloupe.

We're supposed to be & do the same thing - not be trying to force ourselves on people, but by simply being who we are in Him. That will add more to our situation & our relationships than anything,just by letting our relationship with Jesus flavor & impact our relationships with people.

No comments: