Monday, February 10, 2014

2 things

here's some things that came to mind as I read this morning...


Proverbs 19

vs 2 Zeal without knowledge is not good; a person who moves too quickly may go the wrong way.

vs 21 You can make many plans, but the Lord's purpose will prevail.


I've been encouraged over the last 14 years to pray, "God, if this isn't Your perfect will, don't let it happen." & then walk slowly toward it.

That way, if things work out,or if the doors swing open, well, then just keep walking toward it, because we've asked God to not let it happen if it's not the right direction.

At the same time, if the doors slam shut, then there's a good chance that not the direction to go.

I've found that to be a workable paradigm so far.

And I'm a guy who likes to plan ahead. Over the last 40 years,many times it was in simple self defence ;-)

But the longer I live, the more I see that if I'm trying to be in sync w/ what God's overarching plan for humankind, God is gonna work out His plans. My task is to keep from go with the flow of His will & try not to fight the current or drag my feet to slow my progress.

Did any of this make sense?

Sometimes I wonder if what I'm thinking is coming out on the page like it is in my head.

********


vs 17 If you help the poor, you are lending to the Lord - and He will repay you.

Right now, the prevailing opinion in our political arena, which bleeds into our cultural paradigm, is one of intolerance or impatience w/ people who are poor.

But for the life of me, I can't find that attitude in the Bible - in either the Old or New Testaments.

I find that over & over again, the overriding thinking is one of compassion for the poor.

And over & over again, it seems the Bible indicates that our responsibility is to take care of them.

No comments: