Monday, November 16, 2015

a tribute

Yesterday (Sunday), during the early morning hours, a dear & sweet friend of mine & Lynn passed away.

She passed away from a disease caused by her exposure to Agent Orange during the Viet Nam War, some 40+ years ago.

Since hearing of her passing, & as I thought about her life, I was struck by the long arm of that war, & its continued legacy.

Decades after it close, we still live with the fallout of that conflict in the lives of our veterans.

I thought our friend's sacrifices that she made to fulfill her duties during that time.

I also thought of the many other veterans who continue to suffer the consequences of that war these many decades since.

I thought of the vets in obscure places, hospitals, nursing homes, or living under bridges, grappling with their experiences from that war.

And then I thought about the vets I know who continue to struggle with ramifications of the wars they have been a part of since Viet Nam.

And I thought of our vets from Iraq & Afghanistan.

They will be dealing with their experiences & traumas long after we move on to other conflicts – 40+ years from now would be after 2055.

I hope that as the years pass, we will not forget those people who served us in ways we cannot imagine.

And I wonder if those who are quick to call for warring engagement would be as rapid in that response if they could see the enormously overarching & ongoing ramifications of the decision to commit people to war?

I doubt it.

I offer this psalm to the family & many friends of our delightful, dear friend who passed yesterday.

We'll miss her, & the spunk & strength in which she embraced life.

Rest easy, Peggy Ready, rest easy.



Psalm 23

1 The LORD is my shepherd;
  I have all that I need.
2 He lets me rest in green meadows;
  he leads me beside peaceful streams.
3   He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
  bringing honor to his name.
4 Even when I walk
  through the darkest valley,*
I will not be afraid,
  for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
  protect and comfort me.
5 You prepare a feast for me
  in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
  My cup overflows with blessings.
6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
  all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the LORD
  forever.

No comments: