Friday, April 8, 2016

all things to all people

1 Corinthians 9

19 Even though I am a free man with no master,

I have become a slave to all people to bring many to Christ.

20 When I was with the Jews, I lived like a Jew to bring the Jews to Christ.

When I was with those who follow the Jewish law, I too lived under that law.

Even though I am not subject to the law, I did this so I could bring to Christ those who are under the law.

21 When I am with the Gentiles who do not follow the Jewish law, I too live apart from that law so I can bring them to Christ.

But I do not ignore the law of God;

I obey the law of Christ.
  

22 When I am with those who are weak, I share their weakness, for I want to bring the weak to Christ.

Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some.

23 I do everything to spread the Good News and share in its blessings.



This is Paul's all things to all people statement.

What's the lesson to be learned here?

We need to try to assimilate into whatever culture in which we find ourselves.

That doesn't mean that we adopted the sinful ways of the people we're trying to reach.

But Paul says he tried to find common ground with everyone.

Unfortunately, we tend to think people need to “become like us” before we accept them & let them into our lives.

Actually it's the other way around – we must accept people & let them into our lives, and then they will see the truth of Jesus lived out in our lives.

I mean, how did you & I come to know Him?

was it through the “become like us” & then we'll accept you method?

Or was there someone who loved & accepted us where we were, took us into their lives, & showed us the way to Jesus?


Think about all that as you walk among God's children today...

No comments: