Saturday, December 8, 2018

119

Psalm 119 is LOOOOOOOONG!!!

176 verses!


Reading it isn't for the faint hearted.

This psalm is a Hebrew acrostic poem; there are twenty-two stanzas, one for each successive letter of the Hebrew alphabet. Each of the eight verses within each stanza begins with the Hebrew letter named in its heading.

Since 2003 when I started reading the Bible every day without fail (RTBEDWF), I know I've probably read it 30 times?

Here's the verses I've underlined over the years - reading when I dated some of them was very revealing...



Psalm 119


11 I have hidden your word in my heart,
    that I might not sin against you.



29 Keep me from lying to myself;
    give me the privilege of knowing your instructions.

30 I have chosen to be faithful;
    I have determined to live by your regulations.
31 31 I cling to your laws.
    Lord, don’t let me be put to shame!
32 32 I will pursue your commands,
    for you expand my understanding.

33 Teach me your decrees, O Lord;
    I will keep them to the end.



37 Turn my eyes from worthless things,
    and give me life through your word.



39 Help me abandon my shameful ways;
    for your regulations are good.



64 Lord, your unfailing love fills the earth;
    teach me your decrees.

65 You have done many good things for me, Lord,
    just as you promised.
66 66 I believe in your commands;
    now teach me good judgment and knowledge.



71 My suffering was good for me,
    for it taught me to pay attention to your decrees.



73 You made me; you created me.
    Now give me the sense to follow your commands.



75 I know, O Lord, that your regulations are fair;
    you disciplined me because I needed it.



86 All your commands are trustworthy.


91 Your regulations remain true to this day,
    for everything serves your plans.



105 Your word is a lamp to guide my feet
    and a light for my path.



107 I have suffered much, O Lord;
    restore my life again as you promised.



109 My life constantly hangs in the balance,
    but I will not stop obeying your instructions.



114 You are my refuge and my shield;
    your word is my source of hope.



116 Lord, sustain me as you promised, that I may live!
    Do not let my hope be crushed.



125 Give discernment to me, your servant;
    then I will understand your laws.



133 Guide my steps by your word,
    so I will not be overcome by evil.



145 I pray with all my heart; answer me, Lord!
    I will obey your decrees.
146 146 I cry out to you; rescue me,
    that I may obey your laws.
147 147 I rise early, before the sun is up;
    I cry out for help and put my hope in your words.
148 148 I stay awake through the night,
    thinking about your promise.



176 I have wandered away like a lost sheep;
    come and find me,
    for I have not forgotten your commands.

No comments: