Monday, December 2, 2019

be careful

Romans 16

17 And now I make one more appeal, my dear brothers and sisters. 

Watch out for people who cause divisions 

and upset people’s faith by teaching things contrary to what you have been taught. 

Stay away from them. 

18 Such people are not serving Christ our Lord; 

they are serving their own personal interests. 

By smooth talk and glowing words they deceive innocent people.



This is Paul writing to the followers of Jesus living in Rome.

When I read this I immediately thought of a number of people.

We see these people on numerous Christian content shows, late at night, or on Sunday mornings, or on obscure cable or satellite stations.

We see them in all kinds of different social media.

We hear from them in many different political forums.

And talk radio, talk shows, & 24 hour news has them on frequently.


And as I watch these people I just wonder...

Where is the world do they get these ideas they tout?

How in the world do they come up with some of the stuff they try to get people to buy into?

What's their motivation?

What are they all about?

What's is their bottom line?

I'm just not sure where all these people are coming from.

Could they be what Paul describes as people not serving Christ our Lord, 

     but rather are serving their own personal interests,

     using smooth talk and glowing words to deceive innocent people?

It sure does look like it.

I have considered that they may just be bat poop crazy.

Or they may be smokin' something we don't know about.

But there's just SO MANY of them.

It just feels like there's far more going on here than meets the eye.

Don't ask me to quantify that.

It's just this sense that I get whenever I watch them or hear about them.

Something's going on that we have not clue about.

So what do we do?

We be VERY careful, & go with what we know, & not be led by some smooth talking person.

And we don't let them draw us in to their paradigms or narratives.


Just a thought...

No comments: