Monday, June 10, 2019

vines & branches

I grew up on a small farm in southwestern Ohio in the '50's & '60's.

We had a grape arbor.

The imagery Jesus uses here about vines & branches is right on target.

Remember that these words were spoken by Jesus as He & the disciples walked to the Garden of Gethsemane.

iow, Jesus was telling them stuff a few hours before He was arrested & killed.

I doubt if He was being subtle her.

I think He was probably trying to jam as much last minute truth into the thick skulls of His disciples as He could.



John 15
1 “I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener. 
2 He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn’t produce fruit, 
and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit 
so they will produce even more. 
3 You have already been pruned and purified by the message I have given you.
4 Remain in me, 
and I will remain in you. 
For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, 
and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me.

5 “Yes, I am the vine; 
you are the branches. 
Those who remain in me, 
and I in them, 
will produce much fruit. 
For apart from me you can do nothing. 
6 Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. 
Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned. 
7 But if you remain in me 
and my words remain in you, 
you may ask for anything you want, 
and it will be granted! 
8 When you produce much fruit, 
you are my true disciples. 
This brings great glory to my Father.

9 “I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. 
Remain in my love.
10 When you obey my commandments, 
you remain in my love, 
just as I obey my Father’s commandments 
and remain in his love. 
11 I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. 
Yes, your joy will overflow! 

12 This is my commandment: 
Love each other in the same way I have loved you. 
13 There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 
14 You are my friends 
if you do what I command. 
15 I no longer call you slaves, 
because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. 
Now you are my friends, 
since I have told you everything the Father told me. 

16 You didn’t choose me. 
I chose you. 
I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, 
so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, 
using my name. 

17 This is my command: 
Love each other.

No comments: