Sunday, September 28, 2008

our map & our guide




Psalm 48: 14 He is our God forever & ever, & He will be our guide until we die.


To paraphrase what my Life Application Bibles says "people today all want a map & a guide for their lives, but they're all looking in the wrong places for them. The Bible is our map, & the Holy Spirit is our guide. And they'll both lead us in the direction(s) we should go throughout our whole lives."


You all know how I have talked about how I didn't really have a regular quiet time until I was over 52 years old - been supposedly "walking with the Lord" for 30-35 years, been a "professional christian" working in the church for almost 30 years. I was an idiot to have waited so long. Not any more.

Don't be an idiot like me.

2 Corinthians 3: 5 It is not that we think we can do anything of lasting value by ourselves. Our only power & success come from God. 6 He is the One who has enabled us to represent His new covenant.

I guess as I walk closer & closer to the things He's drawing me toward, He reminds me quite bluntly that everything I am able to be & do, & every bit of influence I have is only because of His favor towards me & His power in me. That both pokes serious holes in my inflated ego, & encourages me because I know I'm not responsible for the success of what I'm walking toward - I'm responsible for my obedience.

vs 17 The Lord is a Spirit, & wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

Freedom - how many peopledo each of us know who thnk they have all the freedom in the world, but who live in a tiny little box that keeps getting smaller & smaller? The Holy Spirit gives us total freedom, but it takes total surrender to Him to get it.

vs 18 ...as the Spirit of the Lord works within us, we become more & more like Him & reflect His glory even more.

I wish I could see this about me - most fo the time, all I see is my own sinfulness.

No comments: