Saturday, April 17, 2010

Jesus

Mark 3:31 Then Jesus' mother and brothers came to see him. They stood outside and sent word for him to come out and talk with them. 32 There was a crowd sitting around Jesus, and someone said, "Your mother and your brothers are outside asking for you."
33 Jesus replied, "Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?" 34 Then he looked at those around him and said, "Look, these are my mother and brothers. 35
Anyone who does God's will is my brother and sister and mother."

Mark is such a fast-paced gospel. I think he was a little ADHD, judging from how things zip from one thing to another, with just the bare-boned facts.

Do you ever get a little jaded about Jesus?

I know this may sound a little stupid, but for those of us who "grew up" being Christ followers, &/or who have been Christ followers for a long time, we've lived for a long time with the reality of who Jesus was, & what He did/does for us.

Do you ever feel like ya need to take a deep breath & re-engage the stunning reality that the God of the universes decided to come here to be here among us, to show us what God looks like, & to show us how to live?

I'm in my annual "read thru the gospels in one fell swoop" right now. I've grown up with the reality of Jesus. This morning, I was just struck by the fact that this was a real guy (who happened to also be God) who lived & breathed, got hungry, was happy & sad, ate dinner with friends, got called LOTS of names, slept out in the cold with friends, was betrayed & misunderstood, sneezed, scratched, & all those other body functions.

Iow, He was a real guy.

I'm not in a relationship with a distant God. I'm in a relationship with a real Person - a really real person - someone who's really more real than anyone.

This concept may incinerate my brain at this hour of the day.

No comments: