Sunday, May 20, 2012

God speaks

Psalm 97:11 Light shines on the godly, & joy on those who do right.

I know sometimes there's just a verse or two in these missives I write, with little to no comment.

I know some of you wonder why.

I think part of it may be that if God spoke to me as strongly through His word every day as He does some days, there's a good possibility I'd just short circuit mentally. I think that high level of impact would be too strong for me.

I think sometimes He doesn't speak loudly through His word because He's waiting for me to process something He told me the day before - or the week before.

And maybe sometimes there is the possibility that there's something more pressing going on in the universes that may be a little more important than giving me a spiritual goosing.

Or it could be any of a gajillion reasons.

I just looked back at the last week in my journal. There were verses that came up off the page every day. I wrote them down.

Some of them were pretty heady stuff.

Some days it was just quiet assurance.

The important thing is that He speaks through His word - sometimes it's pretty spectacular - sometimes not - but the miraculous thing is that He speaks.

Yesterday we were in Macon, clearing out more of the house down there. We don't have wifi there, so I couldn't get online to write a blog.

Yesterday's verse was Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," say the Lord. They are plans for good & not for disaster, to give you a future & a hope."

The words that stood out were "plans for good & not for disaster" & "give you a future & a hope".

As you know the last 20 months have been a pretty clueless time for us. It's made us wonder what in the round world is goin' on.

And yet, out of the blue, in my sequential reading each morning,God spoke very quietly letting me know, again, that the plan for us is good, that there is a future ahead for us, & something to hope for.

As Guy Fieri would say on "Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives", "That's money."

We're still clueless, but He let us know that it's all good.

The thing that's paramount here isn't so much what I'm getting each morning. The important thing here is the basic truth that we all need to read the Bible EVERY DAY.

It's a major, tangible way God speaks to us.

Read the Bible every day - I'd be lost without it - I don't think you're that different from me.

No comments: