Monday, February 16, 2015

don't worry about your life.

Matthew 6

25
 "That is why I tell you, don't worry about your life,

         whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear.

Isn't life more than food,

     and your body more than clothing?


26 Look at the birds.

They don't plant or harvest or store food in barns,

     for your heavenly Father feeds them.

And aren't you far more valuable to him than they are?

27 Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?


  28 "And why worry about your clothing?

Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow.

     They don't work or make their clothing,

29 yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are.


30 And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you.


Why do you have so little faith?


31 "So don't worry about these things, saying,

        'What will we eat?

        What will we drink?

        What will we wear?'

32 These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers,

     but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs.


33 Seek the Kingdom of God above all else,

        and live righteously,

        and he will give you everything you need.


34 "So don't worry about tomorrow,

        for tomorrow will bring its own worries.

Today's trouble is enough for today.


Aaron Barth is someone very dear to me. In early January, 2008, he said something to me that kinda changed my life.

He came one day to the early morning prayer the staff at Christ Chapel Macon had each weekday morning.

He mentioned that at that time he'd been studying the Sermon of the Mount for the last few days. That's found in chapter 5, 6, & 7 of Matthew.

Aaron shared with us that he'd realized that we catch the full meaning of the above quoted section by reading those first words of Jesus...

   "...don't worry about your life."


I realized that what Aaron had just shared was an amazing truth.

"...don't worry about your life."

I was going through a transition at the chapel (when wasn't I?! ;-) ) & I needed to hold on to that truth - don't worry about your life.

Almost every day for the next couple of years, God seemed to whisper to me: don't worry about your life.

I reminded myself of the truth every time I started getting worried or scared about the transitions I was going through.

And, ya know, Jesus was right. Looking back, I realize that I didn't have anything to worry about. God walked with me through those transitions & I experienced on of the most halcyon seasons of my life.


I am ashamed to admit that lately I have forgotten to rely on this simple truth.

It's easy to let the ups & downs, cares & woes of life to blur or dim basic truths we've learned to trust.

I'm gonna hold this passage in my heart again. I need the rich & stable truth it simply communicates.


Maybe you need to linger over this passage, too? Maybe you're overwhelmed by life, or "can't see the forest for the trees", or maybe just don't know what's what anymore.

Let's hold on to this passage together, then?


"...don't worry about your life."

No comments: