Monday, January 9, 2017

weak & strong

This section of scripture come from Paul's second letter to the followers of Jesus in Corinth.



2 Corinthians 12

1 This boasting will do no good, but I must go on.

I will reluctantly tell about visions and revelations from the Lord.

2 I was caught up to the third heaven fourteen years ago.

Whether I was in my body or out of my body, I don't know—only God knows.

3 Yes, only God knows whether I was in my body or outside my body.

But I do know 4 that I was caught up to paradise and heard things so astounding that they cannot be expressed in words,

things no human is allowed to tell.

  5 That experience is worth boasting about, but I'm not going to do it.

I will boast only about my weaknesses.

6 If I wanted to boast, I would be no fool in doing so,

because I would be telling the truth.

But I won't do it,

because I don't want anyone to give me credit beyond what they can see in my life or hear in my message,

7 even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God.

So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh,

a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud.

  8 Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away.

9 Each time he said,

"My grace is all you need.

My power works best in weakness."

So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses,

so that the power of Christ can work through me.

10 That's why I take pleasure in my weaknesses,

and in the insults,

hardships,

persecutions,

and troubles that I suffer for Christ.

For when I am weak, then I am strong.



This is a very mystical passage – one that still makes me scratch my head.


The important thing in this section is what Paul says about weakness...


Paul says that God said to him,

"My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness."


iow, it is when we are aware of our weaknesses, then we are more likely to turn to God for help & let His power & strength work through us.


If we think we're strong & we've got this, we won't let God work through us as much – we try to do it under our own steam.


I have found this to be true in my own life, & in the lives of hundreds of other people.

When we know how limited we are, we don't have any choice but to step back & let God in His strength & power do the deal.

No comments: