Sunday, May 20, 2018

who is a follower?

They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved, along with everyone in your household."
Acts 16:31
This is Paul speaking to the Philippian jailer.


If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Romans 10:9
This again is Paul, writing to the followers of Jesus in Rome.



Like millions of others I watched Harry & Megan get married yesterday.


I watched the congregation sing the incredible hymn, "Guide me, O Thou Great Jehovah".


And I wondered how many of the people they showed on the screen really believed those words, who had current & vital relationships with God, & whose lives were truly guided by the great Jehovah.


I looked into the faces of those "royals" & wondered if they had any concept of what they were singing.


And I wondered the same thing when they showed the faces of "celebrities" & other "glitterati" - who among them had any sense of what they were singing.


And when African American bishop from the American Episcopal Church got to preaching, I couldn't help but notice the blank stares from most people from the Queen on down, as well as the tittering amusement many were feeling.


They were SO uncomfortable.


And I wondered about them all, & where they are with God...
     from Harry & Megan (who are SO obviously SO in love!) 
     to everyone else we saw on our screens yesterday.


I'm not optimistic...

No comments: