Sunday, September 1, 2019

LGLO

"So now I am giving you a new commandment:
Love each other.
Just as I have loved you,
you should love each other.
Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.”
John 13:34-35



This is Jesus speaking here to His disciples the night before He was killed.

They had left the upper room & were walking to Gethsemane.

Jesus had just a few hours left with the 12 disciples.

I doubt if He was being subtle or vague in what He said to them.

He was trying to jam a lot of things into their heads before He was dead.


Every time I read these 2 verses I am ashamed of us.

In this day & time the world does not think of those of us who follow Jesus as people who love.

They think all kinds of negative things about us - most of which we have earned.

And it's because we have forgotten that our main goal is to love.

Jesus Himself said it - love God, love others.

But we don't.

We have gone whoring for power & position.

We have chosen to project moral superiority.

We choose to denigrate anyone who is "not like us".

I look at Jesus' life & I see Someone who loved everyone, no matter who they were or what they had done.

What would our world look like if we were 10% as loving as He was, & is?

No comments: