Monday, April 20, 2009

training

This past weekend I participated in the Georgia Motorcycle Safety Course. It started Friday night at 6pm & went to 9pm. Then we met on Saturday & Sunday from 8am – 5pm.

It was a congenial group of students, 2 who were 20somethings, 9 who were in their 30’s or 40’s - & me (I’m 58).

Our teachers, both competent & capable teachers (& a heck of a lot more patient then me) were 59 & 78 (you read that right – 78). Yes, that’s right – both of our laid-back, congenial teachers, who incidentally arrived on LARGE bikes, were older than me.

We were involved in group discussion, video demonstrations, & about 16 hours on the training range. Learning to operate the bike safely was accomplished incrementally. Lots of the time we were taught how to do stuff without knowing we were being taught. And everything built on what was taught previously.

I’d never driven a motorbike before Saturday morning at 8am. I had the normal anxiety one would have doing that for the first time. (My son, Scott, encouraged me & believed in me - & said so – it helped me be brave) This course, while not ever downplaying the caution someone must take & the respect we must have for a motorcycle, was so designed to make learning how to drive not only a pleasurable, but something you could see yourself doing.

Now, a tremendously shocking statistic - 96% of the people who drive motorbikes in the USA have not had any certified training.

I CANNOT IMAGINE OPERATING A MOTORBIKE WITHOUT ANY TRAINING.

My training was developed by, & followed guidelines created by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation & was handled by the Department of Driver Services of the State of Georgia.

I don’t mind telling you a bit that it cost me $250. It was worth every penny - & then some. (It also will get me a discount on bike insurance, & sometimes a discount on equipment)

I want to say in the strongest manner I can that if you drive a motorbike (whether that’s been for a short time or a long time), you need to take this course.

Do it. You will not regret it one bit.

Btw, I passed. I qualified for a full operator’s license. Scary, isn’t it?!

No, I’m not taking off on a road trip to California! Nor am I gonna be tooling around town any time soon. I need LOTS & LOTS of practice time on the quiet streets of North Highlands & Shirley Hills, as well as the parking lot of Big Lots.

No comments: