Wednesday, September 21, 2011

unexpected morphing

During the summer of 2000, I worked as an assistant in music at Camp Crestridge. That was when the music staffers introduced me to the worship music of Passion. They just told me I HAD to learn these songs from this new (at the time) source of worship music. And then they proceeded to teach me all kinds of songs!

I remember distinctly one day when they told me about this new song they were just crazy about. It was by the little known band called Mercy Me. You couldn't find the music, but they'd figured out the chords to it. Then they sat there & sang for me the first time this new song - "I Can Only Imagine".

I remember crying a lot when they did that.

That summer & those 20something staffers changed my life, for the better. They were used by God to morph me into whatever it is I am now. I still think it's hilarious that someone my age finds his worship music of choice to be the edgy music of the contemporary church.

Anyway, they taught me a song that summer that is based on this scripture. If I relax & drift back to that time in my mind, I can still hear them singing it & the band playing, & feel God morphing me into someone who loves the songs of now.

Psalm 36
5 Your unfailing love, O LORD, is as vast as the heavens;
  your faithfulness reaches beyond the clouds.
6 Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains,
  your justice like the ocean depths.
You care for people and animals alike, O LORD.
7   How precious is your unfailing love, O God!
All humanity finds shelter
  in the shadow of your wings.
8 You feed them from the abundance of your own house,
  letting them drink from your river of delights.
9 For you are the fountain of life,
  the light by which we see.

No comments: