Wednesday, June 11, 2014

serving

Matthew 23:11 The greatest among you must be a servant

12 But those who exalt themselves will be humbled,

     & those who humble themselves will be exalted.


The more I read the Bible, the more I see our role as someone who serves.

Servants do what they are told.

They don't have a say so in what's going on.

The person they are following isn't "lucky to have them" - it is only in serving that a servants potential is released.

Servants may not be told the "why" of their acts of service, nor may they know the outcome of their servanthood.

Servants' actions fit into the "big picture" - their part in their service may be a big piece to the big picture or a small addition.

     The impact of their service is not the issue- Their obedience to the One they serve is.

Servants serve;

     they are not held up glorious examples of all that's good & pure in the world.

Their reason for being, their reward is their service, not tangible results, because sometimes at the time there are seemingly no results.



We in evangelical Christianity have in many ways have developed this success orientation toward servanthood;

     most of the prevailing opinions about serving nowadays is the exact opposite to the things I mentioned above.

I think we're in error.

I believe we need to rethink this servanthood thing.

I think we've imbued it too much with our middle class values.

Maybe we need to give it another look, in view of how the Bible characterizes serving.



Y'all I don't know where all that came from.

I just know that I started writing this morning, & that's where I ended up.

I hope it all made sense.

No comments: