Monday, June 23, 2014

Your Word

Your word is a lamp for my feet

     & a light for my path.

Psalm 119:105



In January , 2003, I started waking up at 5am.

This was odd, because I LOVE to sleep. It wasn't normal for me to wake up then.

And we're talking AWAKE here.

I asked Lynn about it. She said it might just be part of the aging process (oh, yippee.)

But she also said that maybe God was trying to tell me something.

So the next morning, when I woke up @ 5am, I asked God if there was something He was trying to tell me.

A voice inside my head seemed to say,"Get up & read."

So, I did -  got up & read in the Bible.

And I've been doing that ever since.

And, btw, God wakes me up- I don't have to set an alarm.


Up until that point (at the age of 52 1/2) my Bible reading could be best & most generously described as higgledy-piggledy.

I don't remember the last time I missed getting up & reading.


Where do I read?

I'd heard that Billy Graham reads a psalm every day.So I figured if it was good enough for Billy, it's good enough for me.

I read it sequentially, from 1 - 150, then read through Proverbs, then back through Psalms.

I read a chapter in the gospels - I read them sequentially, 1 chapter after another starting in Matthew, ending in John, then repeating.

I read the est of the New Testament, sequentially, starting in Acts through Jude, then repeat. I read Revelation once a year or so. I'm a little clueless in Revelation

I also read a chapter in the Old Testament, Genesis through Malachi, then repeat.


I want to tell you that my life has been turned upside down as a result of reading the Bible every day.

I would NEVER have done some of the things I've done these last 11 years.

I would NEVER have see the MASSIVE changes in my heart & life if I hadn't read every day.

People say to me often that they just don't seem to hear God very often.

I always ask if they read the Bible every day. Usually they don't.

I always tell people that if you read the Bible EVERY day, you will have no problem hearing from God - in fact, it will be difficult to get Him to shut up! ;-)


I will warn you - if you read the Bible every day, GOD WILL MESS WITH YOU.

And He will mess with you in the very areas you DON'T want Him to mess with.

And He'll start w/ the very last, last, last last, last area you want Him to shine the bright light of His attention on.

(I speak from experience)

He will lead you to be & do things you would NEVER be do.

You life will never be dull.

It will be more than a little scary.

You will regularly think you can't pull something off unless God comes through.

And you will know & communicate with the God of the universes in a way you cannot imagine.



If someone asked me if I could make 1 statement, & only one, to the entire world, what would it be?



Read the Bible EVERY day, without fail, no matter what.

No comments: