Monday, September 1, 2014

losing & finding




Matthew 16

24
 Then Jesus said to his disciples,

   "If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition,

       take up your cross,

       and follow me.

25 If you try to keep your life for yourself,

     you will lose it.

But if you give up your life for Me,

     you will find it.

26 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?


The Message paraphrases it this way...

Then Jesus went to work on his disciples.

“Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead.

You’re not in the driver’s seat;

   I am.

Don’t run from suffering;

    embrace it.

Follow me and I’ll show you how.

Self-help is no help at all.

Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self.

What kind of deal is it to get everything you want but lose yourself?

     What could you ever trade your soul for?


I like how the writers of The Message paraphrase that opening line...

"Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead.You're not in the driver's seat."

How many of us are willing to follow Jesus but we want to keep control of our lives, or at least have final approval?

But Jesus isn't saying that.

He's not only saying follow Me, but give me total control...

   ...iow, our wants, desires, plans, dreams, hopes are not the determining factor of the direction of our lives.

   ...it's whatever He has thought up that becomes the most important thing.


How many of us are really willing to do that?

Or are we more interested in figuring out what we want to be & do,

     or what we think God wants us to be or do,

     & then get God's stamp of approval?


It's all about trust.


It's always all about trust, isn't it?

We either trust Him with our lives, or we don't.


If we trust Him, we find life...

     if we don't...

     well...

     things get problematic.

No comments: