Saturday, September 27, 2014

ouch

don't you know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit,

     who lives in you & was given to you by God?

You do not belong to yourself,

     for God bought you with a high price.

So you must honor God with your body.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20


This was written by Paul of Tarsus to his friends, the group of Christ followers in Corinth.


The Holy Spirit, the Powerhouse of God, the One who raised Jesus from the dead, lives inside of us.

I'm not really sure how that all works. I mean, the Holy Spirit is an infinite being. So, I'm not sure about the practicalities of all that.

I just know He does, bc I'm aware of His presence in me.

And no, I don't know how to quantify "in me" - I just know what my life was like before He came to live in me & what it's like now.

All I know is all I know.



"You do not belong to yourself..."

Hmmm... that kinda goes against the grain of today's popular thinking of "I am the center of my universe" self-absorbed living.

What was the price God paid?

Jesus coming to live a sinless life,

     then being murdered by the very people He came to reach,

     & then saying to God,

        "I know _________ is a pretty sinful person.

        Here's my sinless life in exchange for this person's sinful life."



"...honor God with your body."

I don't know how much of this goes on these days.

I see a lot of us honoring themselves w/ their bodies.

I also see a lot of us dishonoring their bodies through a seemingly endless list of abuses.

I've lived too long & seen too much - I'm always amazed at how creative we all are when it comes to dising God w/ the way we treat our bodies & abuse them, & use them for our own glory.

You know what I'm talking about - I don't have to spell it out, do I?



The Holy Spirit lives inside of us.

We don't belong to ourselves.

And we can honor God by the way we treat our bodies & how we use them.


Three things to think about today...

No comments: