Tuesday, September 30, 2014

all things to all people

1 Corinthians 9

19
 Even though I am a free man with no master, I have become a slave to all people to bring many to Christ.

20
 When I was with the Jews, I lived like a Jew to bring the Jews to Christ.

When I was with those who follow the Jewish law, I too lived under that law.

     Even though I am not subject to the law, I did this so I could bring to Christ those who are under the law.

21 When I am with the Gentiles who do not follow the Jewish law, I too live apart from that law so I can bring them to Christ.

But I do not ignore the law of God; I obey the law of Christ.


  22 When I am with those who are weak, I share their weakness,

        for I want to bring the weak to Christ.

Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some.

23 I do everything to spread the Good News and share in its blessings.


  24 Don't you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize?

So run to win!

25
 All athletes are disciplined in their training.

They do it to win a prize that will fade away,

     but we do it for an eternal prize.

26 So I run with purpose in every step.

        I am not just shadowboxing.

27 I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should.

Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.



How many of us try to establish "common ground" with people, like Paul says here, so we can have enough rapport with people that they will actually listen to what we have to say about Jesus?

And how many of us seldom make that effort, either through laziness or arrogance, and "simply share the claims of Christ" like some drive by shooting?

Paul was the epitome of "lifestyle evangelism".

He would go to a city, get a job, make friends, live his life as a loving Christ follower, become a part of the culture, & tell people about Jesus.

Hmmmmm... sounds like a formula for high impact - impact that lasts after he's gone...

No comments: