Tuesday, January 5, 2016

the faith of a child

Luke 18

15 One day some parents brought their little children to Jesus so he could touch and bless them.

But when the disciples saw this, they scolded the parents for bothering him.
  16 Then Jesus called for the children and said to the disciples,

"Let the children come to me.

Don't stop them!

For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children.

17 I tell you the truth, anyone who doesn't receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it."



One of my sons, Kevin Eakins, for a while was a youth pastor. We were in a meeting of church staffers together one day a few years ago in which each of the people in the circle was sharing how they were & what was going on in their lives.

While this sharing was going on, I noticed that Kevin was looking at a series of pictures on his computer. I'm sittin' there next to him, thinkin' “what in the world are you doin'?!”

When it was his turn to share, he closed his laptop, looked up, & shared this...

(This is the essence of what Kevin said.)

I was looking at some pictures of my son, Trey, & me.

(Trey is Kevin's son, who at the time was around 3 or 4.)

I noticed something in all of them. We're doing some in each of them. In every one of them, Trey is looking at me.

He's not looking around.

He doesn't know where we're going.

He doesn't care how we get there,

or why we're going.

He just knows He's with me – that's all that matters to him.”

And then Kevin knocked all our socks off when he said this...

I used to be that way with God. I wanna get back to being like that.

When I first became a Christian, I didn't much care what we were doing,

or where He was taking me,

or why He was taking me there.

All I knew was I was with Him. That's all that mattered.

These days I have to have everything explained to me that God's got going on with me – the who, what, where when, & how.

Back then my attitude when I first became a Christian was 'whatever'

because I was hooked up with someone who loved me like no one had ever loved me before.”

I wanna get back to trusting Him like that.”


Oh, for the faith of a child...

No comments: