Friday, January 1, 2016

2016 verses

Well here are the verses I feel like I'm supposed to hold on to in 2016.

Since 2003 I've asked God to give me a verse to hold on to through the year.

My friend, Andy King, did this that year, & I thought it was a kool idea, so I asked for one.

And each year since I done that.

Going into some years, I couldn't see where the verses pertained to me, but going out of the year, I usually could see why.

Some years were tough ones, some were pretty miraculous.

Some years I only felt like 1 verse was floating to the top.

Other years there were lots of verses.

This year is one of those “lots of verses” years.

Now, don't think this process is infallible – each year the verses I designate as for that year are ones that seem to be for that year – iow, they are verses I think the Holy Spirit prompts me to connect with.

But the overwhelming majority of the time, the verses speak to something or some things going on in my life.

Sometimes it's really uncanny how a verse or verses seems way off in left field, but end up being on target for something I end up needing.

Anyway, here they are – we'll see how it all shakes out.

(All these I quote are from the first edition of the New Living Translation, except for Matthew 6: 25a – that's from the NIV.)



Give all your worries & cares to God,

for He cares about what happens to you.

1 Peter 5:7



The Lord Himself will fight for you.

Just stay calm.

Exodus 14:14



Be careful!

Watch out for attacks from the devil, your great enemy.

He prowls around like a roaming lion, looking for some victims to devour.

Take a firm stand against the devil & be strong in your faith.

After you have suffered a little while,

He (God) will restore,

support,

strengthen you,

& He will place you on a firm foundation.

1 Peter 5:8-10b



The grace of God is with you,

no matter what happens.

1 Peter 5:12b




Blessed are those who trust in the Lord,

& have made the Lord their hope & confidence.

They are like trees planted along the riverbank,

with roots that reach deep into the water.

Such trees are not bothered by the heat,

or worried by long months of drought.

Their leaves stay green,

& they go right on producing delicious fruit.

Jeremiah 17:7-8



...don't worry about your life...

Matthew 6:25a



Your heavenly Father already knows all your needs.

If you live for Him & make the Kingdom of God your primary concern

He will give you all you need from day to day.

Don't worry about tomorrow,

for tomorrow will bring it's own worries.

Today's trouble is enough for today.

Matthew 6:32b-34

No comments: