Friday, September 29, 2017

weak / strong

2 Corinthians 12

1 This boasting will do no good, but I must go on. 

I will reluctantly tell about visions and revelations from the Lord.

2 I was caught up to the third heaven fourteen years ago. 

Whether I was in my body or out of my body, I don't know—only God knows.

3 Yes, only God knows whether I was in my body or outside my body. 

But I do know 4 that I was caught up to paradise and heard things so astounding that they cannot be expressed in words, things no human is allowed to tell.

(dan note: I don't know what to make of what Paul experienced, but one of my sons professes to have had a similar experience. All I know is all I know...)



  5 That experience is worth boasting about, but I'm not going to do it. 


I will boast only about my weaknesses.

6 If I wanted to boast, I would be no fool in doing so, 

because I would be telling the truth. 

But I won't do it, because I don't want anyone to give me credit beyond what they can see in my life or hear in my message,7 even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. 

So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud.


  8 Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away.


9 Each time he said, 

"My grace is all you need

My power works best in weakness." 

So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, 

so that the power of Christ can work through me.

10 That's why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, 

and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. 

For when I am weak, then I am strong.



"My power works best in weakness."

I know that must sound crazy.

But if we think about it, it makes sense.

If we acknowledge our weakness & our inability to do anything to strengthen them or eradicate them, then that opens the door for the Holy Spirit to come in & infill & empower us?

At least that's how it's work with me these 50+ years of following Jesus.

Think about it...


Like Paul, when we are weak, then we are strong, through the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit.

No comments: