Friday, March 20, 2009

fleeting time

Psalm 39: 4 "LORD, remind me how brief my time on earth will be.
Remind me that my days are numbered—
how fleeting my life is.
5 You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand.
My entire lifetime is just a moment to you;
at best, each of us is but a breath."

6 We are merely moving shadows,
and all our busy rushing ends in nothing.
We heap up wealth,
not knowing who will spend it.
7 And so, Lord, where do I put my hope?
My only hope is in you.

Most of you who are reading this are in your 20's. Life doesn't seem fleeting to you - it's just started for you.

Trust me - you'll blink your eyes, & you'll be 58.

There is a saying that was popular when I was your age (I gotta be truthful - it kinda made me gag) & it seems that I saw it cross-stitched or needlepointed everywhere at the time.

"Only one life, t'will soon be passed.
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Truth is truth, no matter where it comes from.

As I walk through this present season, I'm keenly aware that the time I have left is not as long as I've had. There's too many people who just need a touch of His love. They surround me.

Everyday, they pass me by
I can see it in their eyes,
Empty people, filled with care,
headed who knows where.
On they go, through private pain,
living fear to fear,
Laughter hides their silent cries,
that only Jesus hears.

People need the Lord,
People need the Lord,
at the end of broken dreams,
He's the open door.
People need the Lord,
People need the Lord .
When will we realize
that people need the Lord.

We are called to take His light
to a world where wrong seems right.

What would be too great a cost
for sharing life with one who's lost.

Thorough His love our hearts can feel
all the grief they bear.

They must hear the words of life
that only we can share.

C1987, Shepherd's Ford Music; Words & music by Phill McHung & Greg Nelson

I haven't thought about that song in years. It's a song I'm hearing in my head a lot these days.

Life's short - only what we do for Jesus will last.

We can see generational curses broken in lives infused with His love.

Come on the adventure. Let's share our lives in Jesus with the people we see each day.

Remember that neither you nor I would know the life we have in Jesus (iow, we'd be goin' to hell, too) if someone hadn't been obedient to His call & share Him with us.

No comments: