Thursday, July 2, 2009

a head screwed on right

For the last year & a half, I've lived with 4 scriptures that I believe God gave me to hold onto as I walked through this season in my life.

One is from Matthew 10:39 - I've boiled it down to this bullet: don't cling to your life.

The verse reads, "If you cling to your life, you'll lose it; but if you let go of your life for Me, you'll find it."

Sometimes I cling to my life.

It can be a situation, a relationship, a way of thinking, a perception, a way of doing things - oh the list is endless.

But over & over & over again, especially in the last year & a half, God gently (& sometmes not so gently) reminds me - don't cling to this thing you're holding on to for fear of change.

And why does He want me to open my clenched fist & let that thing & grasping go?

So He can give the me life He dreamed for me.

The other verse is from Matthew 6:25 - my mischievous nephew, Aaron Barth, was the person God chose to alert me to it. It at the beginning of that section in Matthew 6 where Jesus talks about the lilies of the field & the birds of the air & how they don't toil or harvest, but are completely provided for by God. He pointed out you don't have to read the whole section because Jesus says it all at the beginning of the section...

"don't worry about your life."


In the last year and a half I've worried about what will happen if I let go of my life. I've had uncounted moments of "But what if I do this?" & "But how can this happen, God?" & countless other frettings.

Over & over again He's whispered, "don't worry."

Right now, God's continuing to remind me,
"don't cling to __________"
"don't worry"

And ya know what?

Over the last year & a half, I've learned in gianormous ways to trust God & let go of a lot of things - sometimes it feels like I've let go of most of my ife, if not all of it. And then, to not worry about it.

Easy? No. Simple? Yes.

Don't cling to your life. (because God's tryin' to give you this fantabulous life He dreamed for you)

Don't worry about your life. (God's gonna take care of ya)

No comments: