Sunday, July 5, 2009

just a thought

(Knowing the level of my interest in football, I know the illustration I’m going to use will amuse many of you.)

The huddle in football is an essential part of the game. Information is given out, changes in plans are shared, & everyone gets in sync with what’s going on & what’s gonna happen next.

But how much time is spent in the huddle during the game? Not that much.

What’s the major task of the team? Being engaged in the game.

I have a lot of people in my life these days who spend a lot of time in “huddles.” These could be regular services, as well as small groups meetings, plus spontaneous &/or serendipitous times of prayer, worship, or intersession.

I’m so thankful that so many of these people are seeking God at all kinds of levels. I enjoy, & benefit from, much of the spill-over of their lives.

At the same time, lately I’ve started wondering about something.

When we spend so much time going from one meeting to another, do we get to the point where the meetings (& all we experience in them) become the focus?

Or should the times we spend with the Lord cause us to be about what we are called to be – trying to get the people around us in a relationship with God thru Jesus?

As I wonder about these things, remember this - this is not a value judgment - this is just something I think we ought to think about.

No comments: