Tuesday, August 25, 2009

prissy

Acts 16:25 Around midnight, Paul & Silas were praying & singing hymns to God, & the other prisoners were listening.

Paul & Silas were in Philippi, telling people about Jesus. Because Paul cast a demon out of a young girl, there was a riot led by her owners who had planned to make a lot of money with her.

The city officials had Paul & Silas arrested, stripped them, had them beaten with rods. Acts says they were severely beaten.

So, get the picture here - let's pretend it's you & me: we've been telling people about Jesus, we cast out a demon in a young girl, there a riot, we're arrested, no trial, the Romans strip us down to our birthday suits & beat the stew out of us w/ iron rods, then chain us, butt naked, to something in a cell that's hardly Club Med.

What are we gonna do then? Pray & sing songs loud enough that all the other prisoner are listening?!

Yeah, right...

I wonder how our prissy, precious little faith would stand up to that kind of situation?

I'd be calling for my lawyer, demanding some medical attention, as well as some clothes, food, & at least a cot to lie down on, all the while screaming at the top of my lungs about my civil rights & personhood being violated.

And all the other prisoners would be listening.

I've got a long way to go.

No comments: