Thursday, November 12, 2009

the hope of the future

Psalm 92:1 It is good to give thanks to the LORD,
to sing praises to the Most High.
2 It is good to proclaim your unfailing love in the morning,
your faithfulness in the evening,
3 accompanied by the ten-stringed harp
and the melody of the lyre.

4 You thrill me, LORD, with all you have done for me!
I sing for joy because of what you have done.
5 O L
ORD, what great works you do!
And how deep are your thoughts.
6 Only a simpleton would not know,
and only a fool would not understand this:
7 Though the wicked sprout like weeds
and evildoers flourish,
they will be destroyed forever.

8 But you, O L
ORD, will be exalted forever.
9 Your enemies, L
ORD, will surely perish;
all evildoers will be scattered.
10 But you have made me as strong as a wild ox.
You have anointed me with the finest oil.
11 My eyes have seen the downfall of my enemies;
my ears have heard the defeat of my wicked opponents.
12 But the godly will flourish like palm trees
and grow strong like the cedars of Lebanon
.
13 For they are transplanted to the L
ORD's own house.
They flourish in the courts of our God.
14 Even in old age they will still produce fruit;
they will remain vital and green.
15 They will declare, "The L
ORD is just!
He is my rock!
There is no evil in him!"

I dated vs 14 on 9.15.2005 as a promise. One of the things people worry about is becoming old & useless. I'm not silly enough to think I'll remain as vigorous as I am now - age & gravity will catch up with me. But the important part of the verse are the words "produce fruit" & "vital"

I know plenty of people who may not be as spry as they used to be, but are still alive, engaging people, being a part of their lives, producing fruit in ministering to others, & being current & vital.

I hope I'm like that. The stakes are too high to not be.

No comments: