Tuesday, November 10, 2009

wisdom

Psalm 90:12 Teach us to make the most of our time, so that we may grow in wisdom.

Every once in a while, I run into someone who thinks I'm wise. (There's not a lot of them out there, but there ARE some) I'm always more than a little amused by that perception.

One thing that may make people thing that is that sometimes I actually don't say anything (I know, hard to believe!). I discovered that if I don't say something sometimes, people actually think I'm deep & philosophical - or up to something! (the latter is usually closer to the truth!) In my 50's, every once in a great while, I started doing what my mother used to say - "If you don't have anything to say, don't open your mouth & leave no doubt."

There's another reason I don't think I'm all that wise. If a man puts his hand in a fire repeated, even though he's warned frequently not to, & ends up burning his hand off, would he be considered wise if, after burning his hand off, he suggested people not put their hands in the fire? No, he would be thought of as stating the obvious. (It seems these days I spend a lot of my time doing that "trying to not burn my hand off" thing.)

But maybe the main reason I don't think of myself as wise is that even at my wise & ripe old age of 59, I still do stupid stuff. Like yesterday - I got frustrated with someone I love dearly & got into a senseless argument with him for no really good reason. We just got frustrated with each other & just had at it.
Yeah, we both apologized & forgave each other, but we hurt each other & it was all SO unnecessary.

I'm just trying to get to the point where I don't do the same stupid stuff. Wisdom may be something that be a little out of my reach. Whereas I don't do some of the stupid stuff I did when I was younger, I'm finding that now I'm doing different stupid stuff.

Sometimes I wonder about me...

So, I figure if I "make the most of my time", with the end result I'll be wise, there's a good chance that I'm gonna be around for a LONG time, because wisdom right now seems to be a place I catch glimpses of occasionally, but is not a place I live in, yet.

But with God, where there's life there's hope ;-)

No comments: