Saturday, February 19, 2011

my help

Psalm 4:8 Lead me in the right path, O Lord,
   or my enemies will conquer me.
Tell me clearly what to do,
   & show me which way to turn.


Matthew 3:13 Afterward Jesus went up on a mountain & called the ones He wanted to go with Him. And they came to Him. 14 Then He selected 12 of them to be His regular companions, calling them apostles.


Here's what my Life Application BIble says about these verses in Matthew.

This footnote has always been so riveting to me...

"From the hundreds of people who followed Him from place to place, Jesus chose 12 to be His apostles. 'Apostle' means 'messenger or authorized representative.'

"He did not choose these 12 to be His associates & companions because of their faith; theyir faith often faltered.

"He didn't choose them for their talents & ability; no one stood out with unusual ability.

"The disciples represented a wide range of backgrounds & life experiences, but apparently they had no more leadership potential than those who were not chosen.

"The one characteristic they all shared was their willingness to obey Jesus.

"After Jesus ascension, they were filled with the Holy Spirit & empowered to carry out special roles in the  growth of the early church.

"We should not disqualify ourselves from service to Christ because we do not have the expected credentials. Being a good disciple is simply a matter of following Jesus with a willing heart."


Here's two songs that play in my head these days. I hope that is you need them as much as I do right now, that they will play in yours. Cut & paste them if you can't click on them.

Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir - My Help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtZX7a44fMI

Jeremy Camp - I Will Walk by Faith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLbxUVLW_uk

No comments: