Sunday, January 8, 2012

me & Billy

I heard about 10 yrs ago that Billy Graham reads a psalm & a proverb every day. I thought if it's good enough for Billy, it's good enough for me ;-)

So, I started reading through psalms, 1 a day. When I get through all 150, then I read a chapter in Proverbs each day. I also read each day somewhere else in the Old Testament (I'm in Job right now - AAUGH!) & somewhere in the New Testament (I'm in Acts right now)

I can't tell you how reading a psalm each day has changed my life. Yeah, there's some where David asks the Lord to bash in the teeth of his enemies. But for the most part, it's pretty good stuff.

The interesting thing is how these psalms speak to me each day. Psalms is all about our connection with God. It's always kool to me that so many times so much of what I need to hear or remember is "coincidentally" in the psalm I read that morning.

Here's what stood out to me this morning. Go read the whole psalm when you're done.

Psalm 145
1 I will exalt You, my God and King,
  and praise Your name forever and ever.
2 I will praise You every day;
  yes, I will praise You forever.
3 Great is the LORD! He is most worthy of praise!
  No one can measure his greatness.


8 The LORD is merciful

        and compassionate,

  slow to get angry

      and filled with unfailing love.


9 The LORD is good to everyone.

  He showers compassion on all His creation.


13b The LORD always keeps His promises;
  He is gracious in all He does.


14 The LORD helps the fallen

  and lifts those bent beneath their loads.


15 The eyes of all look to You in hope;

  You give them their food as they need it.


16 When You open Your hand, You satisfy the hunger and thirst of every living thing.


17 The LORD is righteous in everything He does;

  He is filled with kindness.


18 The LORD is close to all who call on Him,

  yes, to all who call on Him in truth.


19 He grants the desires of those who fear Him;

  He hears their cries for help and rescues them.


20 The LORD protects all those who love him,
  but he destroys the wicked.


21 I will praise the LORD,
  and may everyone on earth bless his holy name
  forever and ever.

No comments: