Thursday, February 2, 2012

4 verses from today's reading

Ecclesiastes 7:10 Don't long for "the good old days," for you don't know whether they were better than today.
As I get older, many of my friends who are my age have taken to talking about the good old days. It's always interesting to me how so much of the realities of what life was really like back then get filtered out by nostalgia.
Yes, things were different in former days. But I also remember how tough things were, or inconsistent, or frustrating, or just not fun.
Don't live in the past - those days weren't all that great. Today is what we've got. Enjoy them for the gift that they are.
And remember, the past is passed. (boy howdy! wasn't THAT deep! ;-) LOL) One of my sons told me he's supporting one particular political candidate because he thinks this person will bring things to the way thing "used to be." We can't bring those days into the present - that was then, this is now. Our world changes SO rapidly - some say every 3 years, some say every 4. Instead of trying to make things the way they used to be, maybe we should try to simply adapt the truths we know to be true to influence the conditions, culture, & environment of today.

vs 13 Notice the ways God does things; then fall into line. Don't fight the ways of God, for who can straighten out what He has made crooked?
 I just chuckled when I read this. How much time do we spend in futile efforts trying to bend the realities of our lives into something more comfortable when it's clear that God is in control of the speed, direction, & destination of our destiny?



********
Proverbs 20:24 How can we understand the road we travel? It is the Lord who directs our steps.
I've never been this clueless in my life - & I've been pretty clueless before. I don't understand it right now. But I've got to believe that it will all come out in the end. Iow, God's gonna keep me moving in the right direction even though all I can see is just the few inches right in front of my feet.


********
1 Peter 3:14 If you suffer for doing what is right, God will reward you for it. So don't be afraid & don't worry.
I've been so afraid so many times lately. I've worried a lot.
And what does God continue to say to me, especially these last 4 years?
Don't worry.
Don't be afraid.

No comments: