Sunday, February 26, 2012

don't give up

I had an important relationship that just wasn't working - a relationship I'd been given, not one I'd chosen or sought.

I had come to the point where I just didn't see how there was any hope for it.

I was at staff prayer at Christ Chapel. (The staff gets together first thing in the morning to pray together for about an hour.) I was turning over & over in my mind what in the world I could do to heal this relationship.

As I walked around, a thought dropped into my head...

"read Galatians 6"

(Sometimes that's the way God speaks to me, by dropping a thought into my head.)

Galatians 6?

"go read Galatians 6"

ok......

Now, I want ya to know that probably this is the only time in my life, so far, that it seemed like God told me to read a specific place. I wasn't convinced I was hearing right, but, what the heck, what have I got to lose - I didn't have any answers anyway.

So I walked over & sat down to the bar in the grill where we were praying, flipped open my giant print NLT, & found Galatians 6.

So I started reading...

Nothing seemed to be speaking to me about this ruptured relationship.

Then I got to verse 9 & all of a sudden, 5 words HURTLED up off the page at me...

"don't get discouraged & give up..."

Whoa! Hold on!

So, I backed up & started the verse again...

so don't get tired of doing what is good. Don't get discouraged & give up, for we will reap a harvest of blessing at the appropriate time. Galatians 6:9

There was the Word for this relationship. One of the clearest words I've ever gotten about anything.

So, I haven't given up. I've continued to love this person. I've continued to pour into this person. I continue to endure, even though I've lost count of how many times I've wanted to give up - & that's been LOTS of times.

Now, I wish I could report that things are just hunky-dory between us.

Nope.

But I believe that God has given me one of the most specific words one this person & our relationship.


And I cling to the promise that "we will reap a harvest of blessing at the appropriate time."

I don't know WHEN "at the appropriate time" is gonna be.

I just know it's gonna be.

So, I wait, & believe, & love, & care.

Did I mention I wait?

(I seem to be doing a lot of that lately ;-)

No comments: