Monday, August 27, 2012

following

Psalm 13:5a I trust in Your unfailing love.

Isaiah 46:3b I created you & have cared for you since before you were born.

4 I will be you God throughout your lifetime - until your hair is white with age.

I made you,

& I will care for you.

I will carry you along & save you



This song is by John W Peterson. I sang it in a cantata my home church's choir did the summer before my freshman year in high school, summer 1964.

Remember what those days were like - political unrest, violent protests against the government & the Viet Nam war, non-violent protests in favor of civil rights. It was not a pretty time at all.

I remember hoping I would find what was expressed in this hymn.

I have.



I sought a flag to follow - John W. Peterson

I sought a flag to follow,
A cause for which to stand,
I sought a valiant leader
Who could my love command;
I sought a stirring challenge,
Some noble work to try,
To give my life fulfillment,
My dreams to satisfy.
I sought a ringing answer
For all my doubts inside,
A torch of truth uplifted,
My searching steps to guide;
I sought a word of wisdom,
A true authority,
I sought to know life's purpose,
To solve its mystery.

I sought for satisfaction
For yearnings deep within,
I sought for full deliv'rance
From chains of guilt and sin;
I sought for peace and pardon,
For freedom from my fears,
I sought a hope to cling to
Beyond these passing years.


I found them all in Jesus,
The Life, the Truth, the Way;
Beneath his flag I'll take my stand
And follow Him today.
I'll follow Him today!

No comments: