Thursday, October 25, 2012

don't give up

Galatians 6:9 So don't get tired of doing what is good. Don't get discouraged & give up, for we will reap a harvest of blessing at the appropriate time.


I remember one time when this verse jumped out at me...

A few years ago I was having a tough go with a particular person in my life. Our relationship was a train wreck. I didn't know what to do about it.

I was at staff prayer at Christ Chapel one morning. I was walking around the grill, just listening out for whatever God may say about this person. (God talks to me a lot when I'm in a listening mode.) This thought dropped into my head... "go read Galatians 6"

Galatians 6? I wondered what in the world Galatians 6 had to do with this person. I don't think I'd read it recently, so I wasn't certain where this could lead.

But hey, what have I got to lose?

So I went over to where my stuff was, flipped open to Galatians 6 & started reading.

Now, I'll tell ya, there wasn't a whole lot goin' on there that seemed to relate or help me with this person & our relationship.

Until I got halfway thru verse 9...

DON'T GET DISCOURAGED & GIVE UP

Whoa!

I stopped & reread the verse.

Ok...

So, I'm supposed to keep on keeping on, doing good with this person, caring, walking slowly with them, not giving up, & a "harvest of blessing" will eventually come?

Interestingly enough, the storm of worry & frustration quieted down inside me after reading this verse - and that quieting didn't come from me. ;-)

So, I just slowed down my walk with this person, took things as they come, love this person as best I'm allowed to, & always have remembered that giving up is not an option.

And trust me, I would have given up LONG AGO if it hadn't been for this verse.

But I continue to love & care about & for this person, even though there's not a lot comin' back in return.

I've accepted the fact that the "harvest of blessing" may not come until we both get to heaven.

So if it comes before then, well, that's just a gift.


I've said all that to say this...

Many of you may be like me - you've got a person or a situation that you just don't know what to do about.

Don't give up.

Walk gently as you can with your person or situation, let God be in control of it & the outcome, & just wait. (my life seems to be about waiting a lot ;-)

The harvest of blessing will come at the appropriate time - and it prolly won't be what you expected.

No comments: