Wednesday, November 5, 2014

2 different thoughts

In the gospel according to John, He records Jesus saying a lot of things to His disciples the night before He died

In that kind of crunch moment,I would think Jesus was saying a lot of things to them that He wanted them to really remember, after Jesus had died, as well as in the years ahead of them.

I wouldn't think this was a time for frivolous conversation.

Here's one of the many things Jesus said to them...



So now I am giving you a new commandment:

     Love each other.

Just as I have loved you, you should love each other.

Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are My disciples.

John 13:34-35



Ok, so... Jesus says that the world will know we are His followers by the very fact that we love each other?

So... think of the people around us here in America who do not self-identify as followers of Jesus...

     would they say that about those of us who claim to follow Jesus?

     that at the end of the day, our greatest proof to them that we are hooked up w/ Jesus is that our quality of love for everyone is the most outstanding aspect of our lives?


We both know the answer to that.

I don't think that's what they'd say.

No... I afraid they would identify Christians in many more unflattering ways.


So, what should we do about it?

I believe Jesus said it all...

    love each other.


********


Anyone who's read these notes for any length of time knows how often I've said that by reading the Bible every day has made it possible for God to speak directly to me, a lot of the times in ways that are VERY uncomfortable for me ;-)

This morning I got up with a lot of stuff on my mind, most of which is the stuff that concerns me on an ongoing basis.

I love Paul's letter to the Philippians - it'sjust jammed full of all kinds of good stuff - & it's just 4 chapters long!

In my normal sequential reading, I was supposed to read Philippians 4 this morning, a morning when I'm weighed down more than usual w/ stuff.

And here's what was waiting for me in chapter 4...



Don't worry about anything;

     instead, pray about everything.

Tell God what you need,

     & thank Him for all He has done.


If you do this, you will experience God's peace,

     which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand.

His peace will guard your hearts & minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:6-7



No if's, and's, or but's - a straightforward expression of what God extends to me.

All I have to do is believe it...

     ...and practice it.

No comments: