Sunday, November 23, 2014

don't cling to your life

If you cling to your life,

     you will lose it;

but you give it up for Me,

     you will find it.

(Matthew 10:33)


This is a very we all kinda sorta dread.

I think it's because we only see the first part - the giving up.

We don't see what we get if we do what the first part says.

If we hold on to our lives, the best we can attain is what we can manage to create or procure.

If we hold onto our lives, we're really the ones responsible for them.

And if we hold on to our lives, we're the ones who have to come up with the power, wisdom, & foresight to make our lives happen.



But if we let go of control of our lives....

if we tell God that whatever He wants is ok - whatever, with whomever, wherever, whenever, however,

then we are placing our lives, their direction, their function, their very essence into hands of the God of the universes.

Now tell me, when we think about it, who is better at handling our lives?

     we who are very finite, full of issues, hangups, hurts, dysfunctions, prejudices, fears, & mixed motives...?

     or the high, holy, omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, be-all-and-end-all Creator God of the universes...?



When we let go of control here's what happens...

The God of the universes is able to implement the life He dreamed up for us LONG AGO, a life that fits into the overarching master plan for humankind.



Now, yes, I will admit there are times when we won't understand what's going on, or why things are as they are, or any of a thousand other things.

     That certainly has been the case in my life - boy, howdy!

But then, we either trust Him with ourselves & our lives, or we don't.

     Trusting Him a little bit seems to me to be kinda like being a little bit pregnant...

     that's kinda impossible...

     you're either pregnant, or you're not....

     we either trust Him, or we don't.



For my money, I'd rather trust Him with my life, no matter what happens, that try & pull it off on my own.

I've tried it both ways...

The former is much more preferable than the latter.

I speak from experience.


Think about it...

No comments: