Sunday, December 27, 2015

"more"

Luke 9

23 Then he (Jesus) said to the crowd,

"If any of you wants to be my follower,

you must turn from your selfish ways,

take up your cross daily,

and follow me.

24 If you try to hang on to your life,

you will lose it.

But if you give up your life for my sake,

you will save it.

25 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but are yourself lost or destroyed?



Would it be safe to say that we really don't absorb what Jesus said in verse 25?

Because we seem to be on a headlong attempt to get as much as we can – we are such ridiculous consumers.

We seem to continue all through our lives on this quest for “more” ________________.

We can each fill in the blank as to what we each want “more” of.

And Jesus says here that the constant pursuit of “more” is fatal.

He says that meaning in life comes from letting go of “more” & accepting what He hands us.

2015 is winding down, 2016 lies ahead.

Perhaps it would be prudent as we approach a new year to open our hearts to what God says defines our lives & less to what we or the world says defines our lives through an unrelenting, unending search for “more” of the things that don't last.


(I hope all this made sense – sometimes I wonder if I express & explain what is going on inside my head.)

No comments: