Thursday, May 19, 2016

the primary verse

If you've read these blogs for any length of time, you know that each year since 2003 I've asked God to give me a verse to hold on to during the coming year.

Sometimes there's been just 1 verse, other years there have been multiple verses &/or passages.

Usually when there are multiples, that means it's gonna be a doozie of a year.

This year there are 11 verses or passages.

Yeah, 11...

I'm glad I've got all 11.

It's been a doozie of a year, so far.

The first & primary verse for this year is 1 Peter 5:7.

I got it in a very unusual way.

Lynn & I have a terrific friend named Shurlene Rivera.

She has a Facebook account in which she shares a lot of pictures with wise or singular thoughts. Every day I look forward to see the things she shares.

One day she shared a picture with this verse overlaying the image. When I read it, I the stirring in my spirit that this was going to one of the verses for 2016.

As it turns out, amongst all 11 verses & passages, it's the quiet primary one.

I'm glad it is.


I thought I'd share the various ways different scholars have translated it.

Each day, more & more, I'm learning the simple & infinite truth of this verse.



1 Peter 5:7

Give all your worries & cares to God, for He cares about what happens to you. (TLV, 1st ed.)

casting all your cares [all your anxieties, all your worries, and all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares about you [with deepest affection, and watches over you very carefully]. (Amplified)

Throw all your anxiety onto him, because he cares about you. (CEB)

Give all your worries to him, because he cares for you. (ERV)

casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. (ESV)

You can throw the whole weight of your anxieties upon him, for you are his personal concern. (J B Phillips)

Casting all your care upon him; for he cares for you. (KJV)

Let him have all your worries and cares, for he is always thinking about you and watching everything that concerns you. (TLB)

Live carefree before God; he is most careful with you. (The Message)

Turn all your worries over to him. He cares about you. (NIRV)

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. (NIV)

Since God cares for you, let Him carry all your burdens and worries. (The Voice)

No comments: