Sunday, July 24, 2016

Psalms

I've been reading 1 psalm, sequentially, since January of 2003.

Since there's 150 psalms, I figure in the past 16 years, I've read through the book of Psalms at least 32 times.

They never get old or jaded.

They usually speak to something going on in my life at the time.

I understand fully well why Billy Graham supposedly reads one psalm every day.

(I wonder how he's doing these days – he's in his 90's – anybody heard lately?)

I recommend in the strongest & highest ways possible that each of us would read 1 psalm sequentially every day.

Here's the very first one – verse one is from the NIV bc I like the sit, walk, stand imagery.

All the rest are from the NLT, 2nd edition.

I don't know how many times I'd read it (a lot!) before I let verse 3 sink in.

There's also a pretty potent warnings to the wicked in verses 4 – 6.

Of course, I don't know how many people would class themselves as “wicked”.

Wicked” is not something we use as a way of describing someone these days.

It would seem that “ 'sin' in not in” these days.

Nor it would seem that we don't always buy into the concept that there are consequences of sinning...

...sowing & reaping...

...although some understand karma, which is a secular concept...

...”what goes around, comes around”...

(I feel a Justin Timberlake song coming on!)

Since you're reading Psalm 1 today, some time tomorrow why not read Psalm 2.

Then on Tuesday, read Psalm 3.

Wednesday, Psalm 4.

And so it will go.

;-)



Psalm 1

1 Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked

or stand in the way that sinners take
    or sit in the company of mockers,

2 But they delight in the law of the LORD,
  meditating on it day and night.
3 They are like trees planted along the riverbank,
  bearing fruit each season.
Their leaves never wither,
  and they prosper in all they do.

4 But not the wicked!

  They are like worthless chaff, scattered by the wind.
5 They will be condemned at the time of judgment.
  Sinners will have no place among the godly.
6 For the LORD watches over the path of the godly,
  but the path of the wicked leads to destruction.

No comments: