Monday, October 17, 2016

loving

Jesus said this to His disciples the night before He died. I doubt if any of us would mince worlds if faced with the same situation.


So now I am giving you a new commandment:

Love each other.

Just as I have love you, you should love each other.

Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.

John 13:34-35



I've read on Facebook more than once a simple thought – I offer it to your thinking...


It is God the Holy Spirit's job to convict.

It is God the Father's job to judge.

It is job of God the Son, Jesus, to redeem.

And it is our job to love.


Hmmmmmmmm...


Jesus said that the world will know us by the quality of our love for others.


I don't think that's what the world immediately thinks of when they think of Christians.


I would say love may be one of the last qualities they attribute to us.


If you don't believe me, ask them.


Be ready for the answers – they won't be flattering or comfortable.



We lost our way here in America.

I don't know if we can find our way back.

I'm afraid it will be many, MANY years before those who don't follow Jesus will think of us as people who love well, first & foremost.

Those of us who know & see the truth that our primary job is to love God & love others are just going to have to be ever more intentional with that mandate.

Maybe it will catch on – maybe, after all of us who are alive right now are finally dead & gone, maybe there will be a chance to change the perception people have of us who follow Jesus.

Maybe...

All we can do be the feet & legs of His love to the people around us.

Not a simple task,

not an easy one,

& one that has been so abdicated by the overwhelming majority of people who claim to be Christians.

But let us begin...



Perhaps we should take the direction of the writer of Hebrews when he wrote this...


So take a new grip with your tired hands & stand firm on your shakey legs.

Make out a straight path for your feet.

Then those who follow you,

though they are weak & lame,

will not stumble & fall

but will become strong.

Hebrews 12:12-13



Just as I have love you, you should love each other. (Jesus)

No comments: