Sunday, February 22, 2009

retirement

(I wrote this note to someone this morning. I didn't intend to get on a soapbox. I was just wanting to strongly encourage her to move into a "second career" - she's my age. I hope she moves into a new purpose - she's very smart, great with people, & has a heart for Jesus & ministry.)

Last summer was my 35th Asbury graduation anniversary & my 40th high school graduation anniversary.


Although I didn't "reunion" with either, I did noticed something with people I checked on...

They've all gotten old.


I'm not talking about aging - I'm talking about checking out of life.

You've seen it as much as I have - people get to our age, prepare to retire, buy a condo by a lake, beach, or mountain that's "close to the grandkids" & shut down. They haven't had an original thought in years (decades?). They're gonna coast until they die.

I don't see the word "retire" anywhere in the Bible.

My wife & I (Lynn in the college setting, me at church) are surrounded by people half our age, who need people our age desperately. They have parents who have divorced, remarried, divorced, remarried, lived together, blended, unblended, abandoned, abused, neglected, not supported, not parented, not cared - in short, their lives are pretty messed up. Most of them have NEVER felt unconditionally loved.

We spend most of our time teaching life skills - decision-making, integrity, ethics, healthy relationships, to name a VERY few.

All we offer them is the love of Jesus & the wisdom that comes from learning about life the hard way - by doing PLENTY of stupid things & making stupid mistakes.

You & I are in our most impactful years. We still have our health, we still have our minds, & we've got the time.

You're surrounded by 20 & 30 somethings that just need someone in their lives who'll care about them. There's nothing magical or difficult with connecting with them. Most of them are starving to death for attention.

You & I probably have 20 more years, give or take. My grandmother, who lived to be 108, once told me to live till I die. She did, even though she spent the last 15 yrs of her life in a nursing home. We offer to young adults the thing they've never had - older adults who care about them & can guide them thru life.

You don't have to join a ministry at some church. Just start talking to them, asking them questions, & connecting with them. You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll be surrounded with plenty to do.

Sorry for the soapbox. I just hate the thought of leaving these needy people to someone else just so I can "slow down, rest, & play with the grandkids"

No comments: