Monday, May 11, 2009

if I don't love people

1 Corinthians 13:1-3
If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing.

If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing.

If I can play the drums better than anyone I know, but don't love others, what does it matter?

If I have the most successful ministry around, but don't really love people, am I really all that successful?

If I can pump iron till my eyeballs fall out, am cut & ripped at a ridiculous level, & don't love the people God's placed in my life, does an exquisite 8-pack mean all that much?

If I have a great car, a great apartment, & a circle of glittering friends, & don't love those friends - or anyone for that matter, what does my life really mean?

If I spend my time talking to people about Jesus, Calvinism, Pentecostalism, or the Bible, & basically don't care about THEM as individuals, what's it all about?

If I can...
swing dance better than anyone...
put together a magnificent event...
drive a car faster than anyone I know...
take that car apart & put it back together better than anyone...
play ultimate frizbee with greater abandon than anyone...
sing better than all I know...
do magical things with a computer...
be funnier than anyone I know...
& don't love people like Jesus lov them, does any of that stuff mentioned really matter?

What does matter in my tawdry, prissy, puny little life, if in the final analysis, I don't love people - ain't I just spinning my wheels?

No comments: