Friday, November 26, 2010

moving forward

Genesis 21:1 Then the LORD did exactly what He had promised.

2
Sarah became pregnant, and she gave birth to a son for Abraham in his old age. This happened at just the time God had said it would. 3 And Abraham named their son Isaac. 4 Eight days after Isaac was born, Abraham circumcised him as God had commanded. 5 Abraham was 100 years old when Isaac was born.

6 And Sarah declared, "God has brought me laughter. All who hear about this will laugh with me. 7 Who would have said to Abraham that Sarah would nurse a baby? Yet I have given Abraham a son in his old age!"

Abraham was 100 yrs old when Isaac was born. Sarah was almost as old herself.

My maternal grandmother lived for 108 yrs. Trust me, it's inconceivable that she would survive having a baby at almost 100 yrs old.

But God promised Abraham & Sarah a baby, and a baby is exactly what they got.

Of course, they had to have sex - at their ages - for that baby to be conceived. (uhm, don't got there!) Iow, they had to be proactive in their faith that God would come through in His promise.


How many of us are waiting for a promise from God to be fulfilled?

And how many of us need to keep walking toward that promise? (no, this isn't a situation that undergirds "God helps those who help themselves")

How many of us just need to keep moving in the direction we're going and trust that the thing(s) God has promised will be out there in the future.

I know I need to keep moving in the direction I'm going, even though the devil keeps whispering to me that I shouldn't & keeps pointing out all the "valid" reasons why I shouldn't.

I read Genesis 21, Psalm 101, & 1 Corinthians 16 this morning. That short sentence is what came up off the page. "Then the Lord did exactly what He had promised."

And, ya know, He has in the past.

I guess my only option is to keep moving in the direction I'm going. All other alternatives are unacceptable.

No comments: