Saturday, November 13, 2010

true wisdom

1 Corinthians 3:16 Stop fooling yourselves. If you think you are wise by this world's standards, you will have to become a fool so you can become wise by God's standards. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness to God.

Every once in a while, someone will say, or insinuate, that they think I'm wise. I usually laugh. What I want to do is laugh my head off.


When I read these verses, probably the first time I read it in my Life Application Bible, I wrote this:


"Don't forget you're not wise - you just remember all the stupid things you've done."


And trust me, I've done a lot of stupid things in my life. And still do. And the few things I haven't done, I've seen others do.


What if you stick your hand in the fire so many times you finally end up burning your hand off. Is it wisdom at that point to tell people not to put their hand in the fire? No, you're stating the obvious.


I feel like the guy walking around with one hand burned off, telling people to not stick their hands in the fire.


When I came on staff at Christ Chapel, I told them that if nothing else, I could serve as an example of how to NOT live your life in ministry.


I think that still holds true.


The only true Wise One is God. If we want truly wise thing to be or do, we need to look to Him.

No comments: