Saturday, December 31, 2011

looking ahead

A few years ago, Marianna Warren went to IHOP KC. She brought me back a kool tan & black journal from there that has the IHOP logo on the front.

At the beginning of 2010 I was needing something to write down where I was reading everyday in the Bible & keep track of what comes up off the page. I've been journaling like this since 2003, when I started getting up early, reading the Bible, & listening out for whatever God has to say.

After 2 years, I've finally filled it up. I'm gonna be using a new journal tomorrow. Here's what I wrote in my last entry today.

"This journal has taken me through 2 of the most difficult years of my life. There is so much of the why of these 2 years that I don't understand. But in it all I have really tried to be & do what God seemed to want me to be & do. I never would have chosen on my own to do any of it.

"What's ahead? I do not know.

"All I can do is follow & see where He takes me."

As a servant, sometimes we don't get to know the why. Sometimes we're just called to be & do what we're told. That's the unglamorous part of servanthood they don't tell you about.


Waiting is no fun.

Obedience is sometimes tough.

But what it all comes down to is trust - do I trust Him? Through all of these 2 years that is the thing He's kept whispering to me - "Trust Me."

So, I'm trusting, even though I cannot see what this is all about, nor what may be ahead.

During these 2 years I've held on to some scripture passages that I believe He gave me. I'll list them below. I've literally held on to these some days with a death grip. I know beyond a shadow of doubt that if He hadn't given these to me I would have lost my mind, more than once. The last one is the first (the only?) passage He's added for 2012.

As I end 2011, & using this journal Marianna gave me, I continue to hold on to these verses.

I continue to trust Him, & wait.

2010 / 2011 verses

1 Thess 5:18 No matter what happens, always be thankful; for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. 

 
Pro 3:5 (The Message)

Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
   don't try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
   He's the One Who will keep you on track.




Pro 4:25 Look straight ahead,
      and fix your eyes on what lies before you.
 26 Mark out a straight path for your feet;
      stay on the safe path.
 27 Don’t get sidetracked;
      keep your feet from following evil.



Heb 10: 35 So do not throw away this confident trust in the Lord, no matter what happens. Remember the great reward it brings you! 36 Patient endurance is what you need now, so that you will continue to do God’s will. Then you will receive all that He has promised.

 


Is 41:9b For I have chosen you & will not throw you away.
   10 Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.
   Do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
   I will strengthen you.
   I will help you.
   I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.


2012 verses

Matthew 6 The Message

33 Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions.

Don't worry about missing out.

You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.

 34 Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now,
         and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow.

God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.

No comments: